All Change at Bell Punch
As with most companies, Bell Punch Co. went through various developments, being taken over and being involved in takeovers. The most significant of these occurred in the late 1950s to 1970s.
By 1952, with the success of the mechanical calculators, extra production capacity was required. Since the Uxbridge factory was fully loaded with the company's other products, with a shortage of suitable labour, and tight planning rules prevented expansion, a new factory was set up in Rodney Road, Portsmouth, to where production of mechanical Sumlock calculators was transferred in 1954. This extra capacity soon proved inadequate and another industrial unit nearby on Rodney Road was required. In the 1960s and 1970s the ANITA electronic calculators were manufactured here, and the production of mechanical calculators continued there until orders eventually petered out. For a time in the 1960s the company required a third industrial unit across the road from the other two.
Lamson Industries take over
In December 1957 Lamson Industries acquired a controlling interest in Control Systems Ltd., the parent company of Bell Punch, from the widow of the proprietor, John Black. The Lamson subsidiary Lamson Paragon had in fact already for some time been associated with Bell Punch. Lamson allowed Bell Punch to continue to operate independently under its own management in Uxbridge.
Sumlock Comptometer Ltd.
Bell Punch mechanical calculators had often been incorrectly referred to as "Comptometers". The Comptometer had actually been invented by the American Dorr Eugene Felt, patented in 1887, and was a trade name of the Felt & Tarrant Manufacturing Company, Chicago U.S.A. In 1957 the name of the company was changed to Comptometer Corporation.
In the difficulties following the Second World War, Britain and the British Commonwealth put restrictions on the importation of many manufactured goods including Comptometers. Sales to this area had previously been a profitable operation for the Felt & Tarrant Manufacturing Company, accounting for 25% of it's total production, and this loss from it's Chicago plant seriously affected the profitability there.
In 1960, following a management reorganisation, the operation of Comptometer Corporation in England, including the right to the Comptometer name, was sold to the Control Systems Ltd., which merged it with its own subsidiary to form Sumlock-Comptometer Ltd. Comptometer Corporation then contracted with Control Systems to have all its machines made by Control Systems in England and shipped back to the U.S.A. This resulted in all Comptometer production ceasing in Chicago in 1961.
The two companies were fully integrated on 1st. January 1961 under the name Sumlock-Comptometer Ltd.
The magazine of Control Systems Ltd. (the parent company of Bell Punch) explained these changes:
Advertisement from January 1961 announcing the formation of Sumlock Comptometer Ltd. from Sumlock Ltd. and Comptometer Ltd. (Great Britain).
Sumlock Anita Electronics Ltd.
In 1966 Lamson Industries, the parent company, set up Sumlock Anita Electronics Ltd. to take over the manufacturing of both the electronic and the mechanical calculators. The Bell Punch Company continued to manufacture the other products, such as ticket issuing systems, taximeters, and totalisators.
The Uxbridge Site of the Bell Punch Company
The headquarters and main factory of the Bell Punch Company, off Rockingham Road, Uxbridge, to the west of London, around 1970.
From 1952 calculator assembly, firstly mechanical and later electronic, was largely moved to new premises in Portsmouth, on the south coast. Concentrated on the Uxbridge site was the printing of tickets and the manufacture of other Bell Punch Company products, including ticket issuing systems, taximeters, and totalisators.
One arm of the River Colne flows through the site and one arm flows just past it, which led to the the company's address of 'The Island', Uxbridge, Middlesex. This had been the site of a water mill, and the company took advantage of the water flow to power a generator which provided some of the electricity for the site.
The following is an extract from a Lamson Industries booklet of the early 1970s which explains the structure of Lamson Industries, and the position of Sumlock Anita Electronics:
Although there is no date on this booklet it must date from 1971-early 1973 since a photograph inside shows British decimal currency (new pence, dating from Feb. 15th 1971), and Lamson Industries sold Sumlock Anita in early 1973.
Text & photographs copyright © 2002 - 2023 Nigel Tout, except where noted otherwise.